The Missing Link

Mary E. "Nora" Taylor (Hollis) was recently a missing link in my family tree. Close relatives said her name was Nora and said they did not know her because she died at an early age. I was at a loss and needed her slot filled to complete a six generation pedigree. Come to find out, Nora's real name was Mary, yet most relatives called her Nora. I also knew that she was married to Curtis Alfred Taylor, who was my ggrandfather. Finally, I was searching Miles Files 9.0 and found what I needed to declare her my ggrandmother. Miles Files said that her name was Mary E. "Nora" Drummond who married Unknown Taylor, but also married Joseph Hollis. Her grave site has her listed as Nora E. Hollis in section D, Lot 6, Grave 1 in Chester Rural Cemetary. As soon as I saw the Unknown Taylor, the date of birth, and the place of birth (because my grandmother was born in VA), I knew I had found her. To seal the deal, Miles Files showed her having an early death of 37 yrs old, just as my relatives said. She was also the link that helped me trace her line to Charlemagne, King of the Franks (see related post).

Mary was born in August 1907 at Accomack Co, VA. She was the daughter of John F. Drummond and Mary Jane Tapman. She married Alfred Curtis Taylor circa 1930. Mary was living in 1936. She married Joseph Hollis circa 1940. Mary died in March 1945 at Chester, PA, at age 37.
 
Update - 02 Jul 2010: I made a phone call to Alfred Curtis Taylor's grandaughter. She verified all the information shown here as correct. Nora died at an early age due to tuberculosis. She died just a few years before effective tuberculosis treament was made readily available. She was known as a very beautiful woman.

Miles, M.K.. "Miles Files 9.0." Virginia Eastern Shore Public Library

0 comments:

Post a Comment